I held a meeting with all janitors from the Legal Affairs Division of the Prime Minister’s Department. I enquired as to their welfare, pay, and if they face any issues that I may assist them in resolving and informed them to approach me or my officers should they ever require any assistance. 

I learnt that many of our janitors live as far away as Banting and wake up around 5am to ride the company bus to work. They start work at 7am and then ride the bus back and reach home about 8pm. This cycle continues daily. 

Many of them also have two to five small children. In fact, one of them had an infant that was only 6 months of age. Whilst at work, their children are cared for at nurseries and babysitters. They are hence rarely able to spend quality time with their children. This is the reality of the situation faced by many in the lower income bracket. 

When I asked about the wages they earn, I was told they earn a minimum wage of RM1,500. It thus goes without saying the various challenges they face in supporting their families with many little children while earn the minimum wage. They live hand to mouth. Something must be done about this. 

I also shared my personal view that I do not agree with the privatisation of cleaners scheme introduced in the 1990s and that they should in fact be civil staff, entitled to a pension. This was a cruel move by Tun Dr. Mahathir’s government then. As result, our janitors continue to earn a minimum wage today without assured yearly increments that civil servants are eligible for. 

Today, as the civil service is given an increase in their wages, the janitors, and those in the lower income bracket across the country, must be too. They must be able to earn a living wage, as I have written on before: https://m.malaysiakini.com/columns/704134. I will be raising this to the Prime Minister at an appropriate forum. 

Further, I shared with them the importance of registering for the Pangkalan Data Utama (PADU) and was heartened to learn that they have all registered for the same. 

We then closed the meeting with a contribution of some ‘duit raya’ from me personally to them to assist in purchasing essentials, which was followed by a lunch for them.

It is paramount to ensure that the welfare of all staff in the civil service, especially the janitors, are preserved and I will continue to hold such sessions frequently.


Comments