I officiated the Malaysian Department of Insolvency (MdI), Assistant Legal Officers (ALOs) Conference 2024 this morning. 

ALOs are the pulse of the MdI. They are the frontliners and at many times, the decision makers in insolvency matters. 

I emphasised to the some 243 ALOs that were present from across Malaysia to speed up the proses of discharging bankrupts to meet the government’s target of discharging 130,000 bankrupts by year end. 

I understand the various challenges faced by them in this regard. A large challenge being the physical filing system still being practiced by the MdI. I am heartened to hear that the development of an electronic filing system, similar to the courts, for the filing of insolvency matters is underway. I hope to see this implemented by year end. 

I further stressed the importance of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) to our ALOs. The law is never static. It is a living, growing, developing subject. Hence ALOs must attend CPD programmes by the Malaysian Bar Council, universities and other registered institutions so that they are kept abreast with latest developments in law, artificial intelligence and technology. 

I thank the MdI for inviting me to officiate this conference.

Comments