Top 10 news of 2013 - readers' choiceAs an annual tradition, Malaysiakini has let its readers decide what they think are the most important news stories of 2013.
A total of 1,450 readers participated in the seven-day survey, opened only to paying subscribers.
They voted by ranking each of the 21 news items selected by Malaysiakini from 1 (lowest interest) to 10 (highest).
Interestingly, GE13 is not the No 1 news item of the year. The most important issue of 2013 for our readers is the slew of price hikes, indicating that many are deeply concerned over the rise in our cost of living.
However, not so surprising is the news that ranked third on the list - Rosmah Mansor, Prime Minister Najib Razak's controversial wife.
Her trip overseas on a government-funded private jet, as well as huge utility and maintenance bills of the couple’s official residence in Putrajaya remain among the top newsgrabbers.
The issue of education and the sorry state of our schools also made it to Top 10 with the ‘Canteen in shower room and cow slaughter in schools’ at No 7, followed immediately by ‘Education crisis and blueprint’.
Here they are - Malaysiakini readers' choice of the top 10 headline-grabbers.
1. Barang Naik (petrol, sugar, electricity, public transport, tolls hikes, etc) and the Goods and Services Tax (GST) - 11,062
2. GE13 / Chinese tsunami / Apa Lagi Cina Mau? Malapportionment and Blackout 505 rallies - 10,879
3. Rosmah Mansor’s private jet and PM’s residence - 9,849
4. Sulu incursion / Lahad Datu - 9,749
5. Sabah RCI on illegal immigrants - 9,351
6. Prevention of Crime Act, Ops Cantas and crime statistics, gangland shootings, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi's shoot first remark - 9,026
7. Canteen in shower room and cow slaughter in schools - 8,821
8. Education crisis and blueprint - 8,601
9. Court acquittals - Altantuya Shariibuu’s convicted killers / Ling Liong Sik / Aminulrasyid Amzah - 8,474
10. Listen, listen, listen - 8,126
Eleven of the 21 news items failed to make the cut and were relegated by Malaysiakini subscribers to the also-ran category.
11. Death of Chin Peng - 7,980 points
12. Religious row - Allah court case, dog trainer video, Johor surau demolition, Alvivi - 7,844
13. Deaths in custody - P Karuna Nithi, C Sugumar and others - 7,392
14. K-pop sponsorships and Auditor-General’s Report - 7,141
15. Candi demolition in Kedah - 6,748
16. Tanda Putera / New Village / the playing of Negaraku in cinemas - 6,473
17. Mat Sabu and Shiite crackdown - 6,326
18. Attorney-general Abdul Gani Patail’s alleged involvement in lost of Batu Puteh - 6,265
19. Bumiputera Economic Empowerment (BEE) - 6,134
20. Pay hike in Selangor and other assemblies - 5,988
21. Hindraf-BN MOU - 5,572