Seize your destiny
In preparation for Pakatan's first few months of government, Anwar releases a Pakatan Rakyat Roadmap outlining key actions that it will undertake.
COMMENTBy Anwar Ibrahim
We stand today on the brink of history. We have reached the last 24 hours of a historic campaign that will change Malaysia forever.
Across country, we have seen hundreds of thousands of Malaysians of all ethnicities come out to our ceramahs. The response in frontline states such as Johor, Sabah and Sarawak, the heartland and fortresses of Umno and Barisan Nasional, has been tremendous.
In preparation for our first few months of government, I am releasing a Pakatan Rakyat Roadmap outlining key actions that we will undertake in order to fulfill our manifesto promises.
As I have always emphasised, the focus of this roadmap must be pro-rakyat and consist of measures that will have both immediate impact, and long-term benefits.
These are reforms that BN has never dared to implement, but Pakatan Rakyat has the courage to do so – reforms that will bring back a renaissance, a genuine merdeka and democracy to Malaysia.
I want assure all Malaysians not to fear. This transition will not only be historic, but also peaceful.
Pakatan Rakyat’s Security Advisory Council of former generals and police will help myself and other Pakatan Rakyat leaders through the process.
To the rakyat and supporters of Pakatan Rakyat, we thank you for your faith, your courage, and your vision.
Sunday’s election will mark the decisive step in an amazing, peaceful, democratic revolution that will take Malaysia into a new era.
Let us go out to vote in strength on Sunday. Encourage all your friends, relatives and neighbours to cast their ballots.
I warn the Election Commission and the caretaker government again – the rakyat will not tolerate any electoral fraud. We will be vigilant of all suspicious activities. We will ensure that only Malaysians will decide the fate of our nation, and Insyallah, we will succeed.
To all Malaysians: Our nation is a land of promise and fulfilment. Seize your destiny.
Pakatan Rakyat Roadmap
3 Promises in 30 Days; 10 Actions in 100 Days
May 6 – Declared a public holiday to ease the rakyat’s travels home, after voting
In the first 30 days: Lightening the load, bringing good to the rakyat
- Immediate petrol price reduction, by May 7
- All PTPTN loans waived
- Commencement of the gradual abolishment of highway tolls.
- Establishment of a National Competitiveness Council, mandated to prepare a master plan to generate 1 million jobs in high value-added fields.
- A review of all privatisation contracts detrimental to the rakyat, in accordance with the law.
- The launch of a public-sector initiative, gearing the civil service towards world class standards: trustworthy, welfare oriented, highly educated, and family friendly
- An appropriate allocation to the National Housing Corporation, so it is able to achieve the promised target for housing construction
- A media freed from political interference
- A more independent Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), no longer under the Prime Minister’s Department
- The establishing of targets for poverty reduction, which cut across all ethnicities
- The launch of the “Merakyatkan Parlimen” Agenda – aiming to amend or abolish all “anti-rakyat” laws:
- Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984
- University and University Colleges Act 1971
- reinstatement of the 20% petroleum and hydrocarbon royalties to Sabah, Sarawak, Terengganu and Kelantan
- Laying the groundwork to solve Orang Asal customary-land issues in Peninsula Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak
- Tackling issues of citizenship, especially for those of Indian descent and the indigenous peoples of Sabah and Sarawak, as well as a clean-up of the Identity Card roll, nationwide.