Overwhelming public support to my proposal of one candidate for one seat in Perak

My proposal that DAP Perak should cease fielding a candidate in two seats in the next general election has evoked much interest and overwhelming public support.
Over the last two days, I have received much public feedback.

All those who have expressed support for my proposal agreed with my two main points which are firstly, Perak DAP has many capable and dedicated leaders and members , hence they should be given the chance to contest in the general election and secondly, it is too taxing for an elected representative to serve two seats.

Another important factor which was raised is the fact that even a profoundly popular political legend like Sdr Kit Siang did not have to contest two seats in Perak.

This goes to show that the conditions in Perak are now suitable for the DAP to cease fielding one candidate in two seats.

One public has in fact pointed out the continued fielding of one candidate in two seats by Perak DAP will be viewed negatively by the voters.

Actually, I have been receiving much feedback over the last one year over this practice. The feedback has further strengthened my belief that the time has come for Perak DAP to cease such practice.

Let me clarify that my proposal was only confined to Perak DAP. I am of course aware of the reasons why there has been such a practice in other states.

That is why I will still support such practice being continued in Sarawak, Selangor, and Negeri Sembilan due to the requirement of political need and strategy. I will even give support if there is a proposal that such practice be adopted in Johor in the next general election.

I have been given to understand that Malacca DAP has long ceased such practice and any proposal to re implement such practice will not go down well within and outside the Party.

I also wish to state my agreement with DAP National Chairman Sdr Karpal Singh that the Penang Chief Minister Sdr Lim Guan Eng should contest two seats so that he will be able to fight for Penang state's interest in the Parliament.

Of course, such practice will automatically cease when Pakatan Rakyat has won Federal power .

Comments